the mega-stage

Not having wound a coil in a while, I decided to wound one up.

mega-stage-001

I took into consideration all I knew of coils and wire. Recently, I have been bent on fused Claptons wound parallel with a thin wire for a staged heating effect. These coils work so well and take so little time when compared to other ideas that I have refrained from trying something new. A drawback I was having was the resistance, before, as I attempted to fuse two 22 gauge wires for the Clapton part. The resistance was low, so I resorted to single or dual builds with 24 gauge wire. It worked great this way, yet I found myself using one coil instead of two, usually, because of, yet again, low resistance issues. I was able to do the two-coil builds, yet they were tricky and took caution, time.

So, I thought about it. Why not try again with the larger gauge wire, especially if I did not plan on doing a dual build, anyway? No reason, so the notion opened up pathways to the creative side of my mind. I did not want to over do it, yet I did increase the width of the wire used, keeping in mind low resistance chances. I also decided not to fuse the wire, just to add an extra wrap of Claptonized wire, then run it parallel with a smaller wire for the staged heating effect. And what could I choose for the smaller wire? A variety of favorites came to mind, but I went with a kind of tidal wire. I wound a strand of 26g Nichrome 80 with Kanthal ribbon, (.8x.1mm), much like one would do with Claptoning. I made sure to leave about a mm of space between each wrap of the ribbon on the Nichrome 80. Once I had an eight inch strand of wire, which, I might say, looked impressive enough itself, I held the end of the strand with some pliers and twisted it to a closer version of tidal wire.

In my first attempt with this part of the build, I tried to drill-twist the ribbon strand to see small beads running down the wire. It snapped in half, as the twist was to tight. So, I tried again, making sure not to twist the small strand too tight, and it came out looking fine. Of course it was no big deal to Clapton a 22 gauge Ni80 wire with 36g Ni80, yet I was happy to have done the larger strand (or the Clapton strand) with no flaw. I suppose it took a bit of practice – if only I could have done that so easily and well when I first started winding coils. 🙂 The photo above is of the build I just described. Its ohms reading was .24Ω. This made it tempting to wound another one and perform a dual coil build, yet I liked the airflow in the goon rda with a single coil, so I left it how it was. The coil does heat up in a staged manner, noticeably, so I was happy my idea worked out. It also hits well when compared to other recent builds -no complaints there. Thank you for reading this post; if you have any questions, ask. To see some of the most amazing advanced coils, check out the twisted messes Instagram page by clicking the diamond below.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s